Maintaining a safe operating environment
The protection of the immediate airspace around Alice Springs Airport is essential to ensure that we maintain a safe operating environment and provide for future growth for the airport.
The airspace around Alice Springs Airport is protected under the Commonwealth Airports Act 1996, the Airports (Protection of Airspace) Regulations 1996.
International standards have been adopted which define two sets of invisible surfaces above the ground around the airport. The airspace above these surfaces forms the airport’s protected airspace. These two surfaces are:
- Obstacle Limitation Surface
- Procedure for Air Navigation Services - Aircraft Operations (PANS-OPS) surface
The OLS is generally the lowest surface and is designed to provide protection for aircraft flying in or out of the airport when the pilot is flying visually (by sight).
The PANS-OPS is generally above the OLS surface and is designed to safeguard an aircraft from a collision with obstacles when the aircraft’s flight may be guided solely by instruments.
Controlled activities require assessment and approval before they can be carried out and include the following:
- Constructing permanent structures, such as buildings, intruding into the protected airspace
- Temporary structures such as cranes intruding into protected airspace
- Any activities causing intrusions into the protected airspace through glare from artificial light or reflected sunlight, air turbulence from stacks or vents, smoke, dust, steam or other gases or particulate matter.
The Regulations differentiate between short-term (less than 3 months) and long-term controlled activities. The regulations provide for the airport operator (in consultation with Defence and Airservices) to approve short-term activities. Long-term controlled activity requires approval by the Department of Infrastructure and Defence, any long-term intrusions of the PANS-OPS surface are prohibited.
Enquiries about Alice Springs Airport's prescribed airspace can be sent to operationsASP2@ntairports.com.au.